Benefits of Taking Magnesium Supplements
Magnesium is one of the most important minerals in the human body. It’s essential for muscles and nerves to work properly, it’s a vital part of heart health, and it also plays a leading role in building a strong immune system.
Yet despite this importance, it’s estimated that around half the population aren’t taking in enough magnesium through their diets, with around one in 10 people having a full diagnosable medical deficiency.
There are several reasons for this situation. A poor diet is the main cause, but even if you keep your plate piled high with leafy greens, beans, and brown rice you might still not receive enough magnesium. Modern farming practices mean that in many cases, natural magnesium levels in food are lower than they were in the past.
Some people have an underlying medical condition such as kidney disease, which makes it harder for the body to process and retain magnesium. However, for the vast majority of people, taking a magnesium supplement will balance the body’s stores of this life-giving mineral.
Here are just some of the benefits you can see from boosting your magnesium to a healthy level.
- Fewer muscle aches and pains, including relief from restless legs syndrome.
- Better mental health, including lower anxiety and even the prevention of panic attacks and depression.
- Magnesium’s calming effect also helps to treat insomnia and provides a better quality of rest when you do sleep.
- Increased energy levels throughout the day, both mental and physical.
- Control of migraine and debilitating headaches.
- Magnesium also plays an important role in regulating levels of other vital minerals, including calcium, potassium, and sodium.
- Better heart health and reduced risk of strokes, thanks to lower blood pressure and stronger heart muscles.
A well-balanced diet is always the best way of meeting your nutritional needs, but eating well isn’t always so straightforward thanks to the pressures of modern life.
However, the benefits of magnesium are so great that if you’re feeling a little under the weather, consider trying a course of supplements. It’s safe and convenient, and if you see an improvement in your overall health, you can then take action to boost your diet’s magnesium levels for a more natural, long-term solution.